Recipe Serves: 6
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
|Portion per serving|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from Fat||120|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbs||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
|Vitamin A||130 %|
|Vitamin C||10 %|
Hearty Chicken Soup with Tender Matzo Balls
- 2 eggs
- 5 Tbsp. Country Crock® Spread
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 large carrot, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Beat eggs, 3 tablespoons melted Country Crock® Spread and water in medium bowl with wire whisk. Stir in matzo meal and 1 tablespoon parsley. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to a boil. Gently roll matzo mixture into 2-inches balls with wet hands. (Do not press or compact.) Carefully drop into boiling water. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove matzo balls and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 tablespoons Spread in 5-quart saucepot over medium-high heat and cook chicken, turning once, 15 minutes or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Remove chicken and let cool slightly. Cut into large chunks; set aside.
- Add carrots, celery and onion to saucepot. Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken broth, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Return chicken to saucepot, then add salt . Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Just before serving, stir in matzo balls and remaining parsley; heat through.
- Cost per recipe*: $12.59 Cost per serving*: $2.10 *Based on average retail prices at national supermarkets.