Chicken & Rice with Pigeon Peas
- Recipe Serves: 8
- Prep Time 20 min
- Cook Time 30 min
- 1 Tbsp. Country Crock® Spread
- 5 ounces chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) pigeon peas, drained
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Melt Country Crock® Spread in 6-quart heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and cook chorizo, shallots and green pepper, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium, then stir in rice and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in water, sauce and pigeon peas. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in chicken and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Cost per recipe*: $14.81.
Cost per serving*: $2.46.
*Based on average retail prices at national supermarkets.
See nutrional information for sodium content.
|Portion||1 serving||Servings Per Conatiner||Value||Amount Per Serving||Nutrient Type|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from Fat||110|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||4.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbs||55 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
|Vitamin A||8 %|
|Vitamin C||50 %|