Chicken Sancocho (Hearty Chicken Stew)
- Recipe Serves: 4
- Prep Time 15 min
- Cook Time 45 min
- 1 1/4 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 3 Tbsp. Country Crock® Spread, divided
- 1 lb. yucca, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks, (about 3 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, (about 12 oz.), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 3/4 tsp. Knorr® Chicken flavor Bouillon or Knorr® Reduced Sodium Chicken flavor Bouillon
- 1 large ear corn-on-the-cob, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Season chicken, if desired, with salt and pepper. Melt 2 tablespoons Country Crock® Spread in 5-quart pot over medium-high heat and cook chicken, turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon Spread to pot; melt. Stir in yucca and sweet potato and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add water and Bouillon and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and cook covered 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in corn; cover and cook until vegetables are tender and chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken; cut meat from bones and return to pot. Stir in cilantro. Serve, if desired with lime wedges.
Tip: To speed up prep time, substitute 3 cups frozen yuca and 1 cup frozen or canned corn kernals.
Tip: Serve with a mixed green salad to round out the meal.
Cost per recipe*: $5.36.
Cost per serving*: $1.34.
*Based on average retail prices at national supermarkets.
|Portion||1 serving||Servings Per Conatiner||Value||Amount Per Serving||Nutrient Type|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from Fat||110|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbs||68 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
|Vitamin A||250 %|
|Vitamin C||50 %|