Velvet Chocolate Cake
- Recipe Serves: 12
- Prep Time 20 min
- Cook Time 40 min
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Country Crock® Baking Sticks
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk*
- 6 squares (1 oz. ea.) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped and melted
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- 6 squares (1 oz. ea.) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Country Crock® Spreadable Sticks
- 1 box (10 oz.) confectioners sugar (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl; set aside.
- For cake, in large bowl with electric mixer Country Crock® Baking Sticks until creamy. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk until blended. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pans; smooth tops with spatula.
- Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- For frosting, bring cream just to the boiling point in small saucepan; remove from heat.
- Pour cream over chocolate in small bowl and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth; let cool slightly.
- Beat Country Crock® Spreadable Sticks in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy.
- Add sugar and beat until blended.
- Beat in chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Frost cake and refrigerate before serving. Garnish, if desired, with shredded coconut.
*Substitution: Use 1-1/4 cups milk blended with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice; let stand 1 minute.
|Portion||1 serving||Servings Per Conatiner||Value||Amount Per Serving||Nutrient Type|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from Fat||350|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Total Carbs||65 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|
|Vitamin D||0 %|
|Vitamin C||0 %|
|Vitamin A||4 %|
|Pantothenic acid||0 mg|