Creamy Sponge Cakes
- Cooking time17 min
- Prep time20 min
- Portions 10
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) Country Crock® Original Spread, melted and cooled, plus 1 tablespoon more for the pan
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup Country Crock® Original Spread
- 1/4 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
|Energy (kcal)||235 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||983 kJ|
|Protein (g)||4.4 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||47.8 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||47.5 g|
|Sugar (g)||38.3 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.3 g|
|Fat (g)||2.7 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.9 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||1.6 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||1.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.6 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||101 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||127 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.32 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||147 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||43 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.66 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||63 mg|
- Brush a non-stick 10x15 jelly roll pan with 1 tablespoon Country Crock Spread and line the bottom and up the sides with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, corn starch, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl with a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar, starting on low speed and increasing to high speed until soft peaks form. When the beater is pulled out a peak should rise and the very tip should fall. Set aside or transfer to another bowl to continue using the stand mixer.
- In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or the bowl of the stand mixer, mix the egg yolks on medium speed, slowly pouring in the sugar. Increase the speed and beat until pale yellow and forms thick ribbons.
- Add the melted and cooled Country Crock Spread and vanilla extract, and mix until just combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the dry ingredients until just incorporated, without overmixing. Fold in 1/3 of the whipped egg whites until incorporated, then carefully fold in the remaining whipped egg whites until just combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and evenly spread the batter over the pan using an offset spatula. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until it gently springs back when pressed.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Place a wire rack over the top and flip the cake out of the pan. Remove the parchment paper and place a baking sheet or large cutting board over the top to turn the cake back right-side up. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. In a medium mixing bowl with a hand mixer or rubber spatula, mix the confectioners' sugar with Country Crock Spread and vanilla until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to carefully fold in the marshmallow fluff until just combined.
- Cut the cake into 20 rectangles (2 x 3.75). Top 10 of them with marshmallow cream filling using either a piping bag with a ½-inch round tip or a knife. Invert the remaining cake rectangles on top of the filling to make the Creamy Sponge Cake. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.