Flaky Garlic Cheese Biscuits
- Cooking time15 min
- Prep time45 min
- Portions 9
- 1/2 cup plain, unflavored oat milk (barista style is best)
- 1/2 cup thick plain coconut yogurt (about 5 oz.)
- 4 cups soft winter wheat flour or all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar style shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped chives,fresh
- 1/2 cup chopped dill,fresh (optional)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled (should be solid)
- 1 cup Country Crock® Plant Butter with Avocado Oil Stick,(two plant butter sticks), chilled and chopped into cubes plus additional melted Plant Butter to brush on top
|Energy (kcal)||258 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1080 kJ|
|Protein (g)||6.1 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||47.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||45.3 g|
|Sugar (g)||3.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||1.7 g|
|Fat (g)||4.9 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||1.2 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||3.3 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||1.8 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.4 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.6 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||665 mg|
|Salt (g)||1.66 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||238 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||3.9 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||171 mg|
|Iron (mg)||1.09 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||92 mg|
- Preheat oven to 450°F and place a large baking sheet in the oven.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oat milk and yogurt. Place in fridge to chill. Combine flour, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a food processor. Pulse a few times to fluff up the mixture. Add cheese, garlic, chives and dill, if using. Pulse a few more times to incorporate.
- Roughly chop shortening and Country Crock Plant Butter and add to food processor. Pulse ingredients until pieces of butter and shortening are pea-sized. Do not pulse too much! Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Create a well in the dough and add chilled oat milk and yogurt mixture. Using a large fork, gently incorporate the dry into the wet. If there are any large chunks, use the fork to break them up.
- Transfer dough to a flour-dusted surface. Press with your hands a couple of times to combine the dough and further incorporate. Pat into a 2-inch thick square.
- Using a sharp and flour-dusted knife, cut dough into 4 pieces. Stack pieces on top of one another, press down to flatten. Pat dough into a 2-inch thick square. Repeat this step. Using the floured-knife, trim a thin border around sides of dough to create clean edges. Cut into 9 biscuits.
- Carefully, remove the heated pan out of the oven and line with parchment paper. Transfer the biscuits to the pan, leaving a few inches of space in between. Brush the tops with melted butter and bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown
Recipe by Timothy Pakron @mississippivegan You want to use a soft winter wheat flour like White Lily for these as this will result in the best texture. Second best, you could also use all-purpose flour if that's all you have access to. I recommend King Arthur. These biscuits freeze beautifully! I can't tell you what a treat it is for house guests to pull out a few frozen biscuits to bake off in the morning. They will be not only impressed but very happy. Unless they are gluten-free which means they would already be cranky because they can't eat bread.