Kansas Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Both Country Crock® and Martina McBride are from Kansas, a place that inspired her to create this creamy and comforting side dish – a staple in her home.
- Cooking time15 min
- Prep time15 min
- Portions 6
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup Country Crock® Spread
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup half and half or milk, warmed
- 3/4 teaspoons fresh thyme, choppped (optional)
|Energy (kcal)||165 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||692 kJ|
|Protein (g)||3.5 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||17.2 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||16.1 g|
|Sugar (g)||1.8 g|
|Fibre (g)||1.1 g|
|Fat (g)||9.6 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||6.1 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||2.4 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||2.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.4 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||25 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||466 mg|
|Salt (g)||1.16 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||294 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||5.1 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||41 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.86 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||410 mg|
- Add the potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with cold water by at least 1 inch. Add of the salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until the potatoes are very tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan.
- Break up the potatoes with a potato masher or a handheld mixer on low speed. Gradually add Country Crock Spread and beat until incorporated. Gradually add the cream cheese, and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually stir in the warm half and half, 2 tablespoons at a time, until well incorporated and the potatoes are fluffy and light (you may not need all the half and half). Stir in the thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with remaining tablespoon Country Crock Spread.
For a cheesier version of mashed potatoes stir ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese.