Root Vegetable Pot Pie
Our recipe for Root Vegetable Pot Pie is comfort food all the way. Root vegetables are simmered in broth with rosemary and thyme for a wonderful rich flavor. We used carrots, potatoes, celery root and winter squash, but you can used whatever veggies you like. The veggie mixture gets topped with a plant-buttery crust that you can use to soak up the delicious sauce.
- Cooking time50 min
- Prep time20 min
- Portions 6
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Country Crock® Plant Butter Sticks with Avocado Oil
- 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
Root Vegetable Filling
- 2 tablespoons Country Crock® Plant Butter Sticks with Avocado Oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 red potatoes, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 bulb celery root, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped butternut squash
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, roughly crushed
- 3 tablespoons flour
|Energy (kcal)||291 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1222 kJ|
|Protein (g)||8.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||64.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||56.6 g|
|Sugar (g)||9.9 g|
|Fibre (g)||7.4 g|
|Fat (g)||1.1 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.2 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.6 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.5 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||651 mg|
|Salt (g)||1.63 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||19636 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||27.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||115 mg|
|Iron (mg)||2.48 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||1046 mg|
- Add flour to medium bowl. Cut in Country Crock Plant Butter with pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbs form. Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough forms. Gently knead dough with floured hands and shape into disc. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to assemble pie, roll dough on lightly floured surface from center to edges to form 10-inch circle.
Root Vegetable Filling
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat 2 tablespoons Plant Butter in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add onion and salt and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add vegetables and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable broth and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook 10 minutes.
- Combine flour and ¼ cup water and slowly pour into skillet. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour mixture into 9-inch deep pie plate. Top with crust. Crimp edges and cut slits in crust to vent. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.