Sesame Garlic Tofu & Broccoli
Our Sesame Garlic Tofu & Broccoli recipe is perfect for weeknight meals. Purchase fresh broccoli florets from the product section for a time saver. The secret to making delicious tofu, is to press out all of the water before cooking and then get a nice sear on the outside. Tofu doesn't have much flavor on its own so it takes on the flavor from the dish.
- Cooking time15 min
- Prep time15 min
- Portions 4
- 1 package (14 oz.) extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons corn starch, divided
- 3 tablespoons Country Crock® Original Spread
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock, divided
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- cooked rice
|Energy (kcal)||348 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1452 kJ|
|Protein (g)||17.7 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||57.9 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||50.3 g|
|Sugar (g)||14.3 g|
|Fibre (g)||7.6 g|
|Fat (g)||6.7 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.9 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||4.9 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||1.6 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||3.3 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||855 mg|
|Salt (g)||2.14 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1495 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||214.1 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||269 mg|
|Iron (mg)||3.71 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||834 mg|
- Place tofu on layer of paper towels. Place another layer of folded paper towels or a clean kitchen cloth top of the block of tofu. Place a weight on top of the tofu. Let the tofu sit for at least 30 minutes. The weight will squeeze the moisture out of the block of tofu, where it will be absorbed by the paper towels. If the paper towels become fully saturated, you may need to replace them with fresh paper towels and continue pressing until the paper towels stop absorbing moisture.
- Once tofu is drained, cut into about 3/4-inch pieces. Place tofu in large bowl and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons corn starch. Toss until tofu is evenly coated.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon Country Crock. Add tofu to skillet (don't overcrowd, cook in 2 batches if needed). Cook tofu 4 minutes or until golden, Turn tofu and cook 4 minutes longer or until both sides are crisp and golden brown. Remove and keep warm.
- Add remaining Country Crock to skillet. Cook broccoli 2 minutes. Combine 1/2 cup vegetable stock, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, chili garlic paste and ginger. Bring to a boil and simmer 3 minutes or until broccoli is tender-crisp.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup vegetable broth and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Stif into skillet and cook 1 minute or until thickened. Add tofu back to skillet and simmer until heated through. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onions if desired. Serve over rice.