Vegan Brown Butter Sweet Potato Casserole
Recipe by Nisha Vora - Rainbow Plant Life
- Cooking time40 min
- Prep time1 hr 15 min
- Portions 10
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed but kept whole
- 6 tablespoons Country Crock® Plant Butter Sticks with Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- scant 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup raw walnuts and/or pecans
- 6 tablespoons almond meal or flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- scant 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Country Crock® Plant Butter Sticks with Avocado Oil, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple sugar
|Energy (kcal)||222 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||929 kJ|
|Protein (g)||5.1 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||39.2 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||33.1 g|
|Sugar (g)||8.6 g|
|Fibre (g)||6.2 g|
|Fat (g)||5.6 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.6 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||4.6 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||1.7 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||2.8 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||316 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.79 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||18552 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||3.2 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||67 mg|
|Iron (mg)||1.69 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||542 mg|
- Bake the sweet potatoes. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly slash the sweet potatoes several times with a sharp knife to allow for even ventilation. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet (I line mine with parchment paper for easy cleanup). Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crumble topping. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, walnuts, pecans, almond meal, brown sugar or coconut sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then pour in the melted Plant Butter and maple syrup and fold in with a fork until crumbly and just slightly sticky.
- Once the baked sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, slip off the peels and discard. Transfer the potatoes a large bowl.
- Reduce the oven temp to 375°F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking pan.
- Mash the potatoes. Use a potato masher, ricer, or handheld electric mixer to break up the sweet potatoes and mash them but not until completely smooth.
- Brown the Plant Butter. Heat a light-colored skillet over medium heat, then add the Plant Butter. Once the Plant Butter is melted, stir often and swirl the pan to ensure even browning and cooking, until it foams and then eventually browns and smells nutty, about 5-7 minutes.
- Make the mashed sweet potatoes. Take the browned Plant Butter off the heat and immediately pour into the mashed sweet potatoes (if your potatoes aren’t ready yet, pour it into a bowl to prevent the Plant Butter from burning). Use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to fold the browned Plant Butter into the mashed potatoes. Add in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and black pepper to taste. Fold until all ingredients are incorporated and potatoes are creamy and smooth.
- Assemble the casserole. Add the mashed sweet potatoes to the prepared baking dish and smooth out the surface. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the sweet potato mixture just starts to pull away from the edges of the pan and the topping is nicely golden brown. Let the casserole cool for 10-20 minutes before serving.