Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
- Cooking time20 min
- Prep time20 min
- Portions 6
- 1 can coconut cream, chilled for at least 12 hours
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons Country Crock® Plant Butter with Avocado Oil Sticks, cut into ½ - inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk, divided
- Optional, for sprinkling: 1 tablespoon coarse sugar (such as turbinado)
|Energy (kcal)||557 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||2320 kJ|
|Protein (g)||8.3 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||61.4 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||58.6 g|
|Sugar (g)||25.5 g|
|Fibre (g)||2.8 g|
|Fat (g)||31.8 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||27.1 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.8 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.4 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.4 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||514 mg|
|Salt (g)||1.28 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||10 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||46.1 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||196 mg|
|Iron (mg)||2.34 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||248 mg|
- The day before baking, chill the coconut cream in the back of your fridge for at least 12 hours. The day of baking, toss the strawberries, sugar, and lemon zest in a medium bowl and chill while you prepare the biscuits. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Before measuring, whisk together the full can of coconut milk until smooth (a few clumps of cream are ok). Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar to a measuring cup and pour coconut milk over the top to 1 cup total. Place measuring cup into freezer for 10 minutes.
- Place cubed Country Crock® Plant Butter with Avocado Oil into freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor or blender. Add frozen Country Crock® Plant Butter with Avocado Oil and run on high for 15 seconds until sandy. Dump into a large mixing bowl and create a well in the center.
- Pour chilled coconut into the well and mix with a fork until it forms a shaggy dough.
- Dump onto floured surface and press together into a ball. Press into a ½-inch tall rectangle. Use a pastry cutter or knife to create two creases and fold it in thirds like a letter, then again in half. Press out again and repeat the folding one more time. Press out again into ¾-inch tall round or rectangle. Use a 2.75 to 3-inch round pastry cutter to cut 4 rounds (press down, but do not twist!). Transfer each biscuit to the lined baking sheet, at least 1½ inches apart. Reroll scraps once, folding a couple times, then cut two more rounds and place on baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Quickly brush tops of the chilled biscuits with remaining tablespoon of coconut milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden brown. Let cool slightly before cutting in half and topping with strawberries and cream.
- Meanwhile, make the whipped coconut cream. Spoon just the thick cream off the top into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment (or into a mixing bowl with a hand mixer). Whip on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the sifted powdered sugar and vanilla and continue whisking on high speed until soft peaks form. Chill until ready to use.
- Assemble your shortcakes. Halve each biscuit. Spoon strawberry topping and their juices over the bottom half, top with a spoonful of whipped coconut cream, then top with the other half of the biscuit.