Our recipe for Plum Crostata is a great way to showcase ripe, juicy, summer plums. Don't let the name scare you. Crostata is just a fancy name for a free-form pie. And since it's free-form, it's actually easier than making the perfect pie crust. Sweet, juicy plums need just a bit of sugar and spice to enhance their natural flavor.
- Cooking time30 min
- Prep time20 min
- Portions 8
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon Country Crock® Plant Butter with Avocado Oil Stick, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar or granulated sugar
- 6 plums, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
|Energy (kcal)||150 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||629 kJ|
|Protein (g)||3.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||34.1 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||32.5 g|
|Sugar (g)||13.5 g|
|Fibre (g)||1.6 g|
|Fat (g)||0.4 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.2 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.1 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||4 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.01 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||162 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||4.5 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||19 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.54 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||119 mg|
- In medium bowl with pastry blender or two knives cut 1/2 cup Country Crock Plant Butter into flour until coarse crumbs form. Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough forms. Knead dough with floured hands and shape into disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine dark brown sugar, flour, cardamom, cinnamon and ginger in medium bowl. Add plums and toss to coat.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Unwrap dough and roll on lightly floured surface from center to edges to form 13-inch circle. Arrange dough on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Arrange plums over center of pie crust, leaving 2 inches around edges. Pour any juices over plums. Fold edges of crust over fruit, overlapping when necessary.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon Plant Butter. Brush edges of crust with Plant Butter and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake 30 minutes or until crust is golden and fruit is bubbling. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely.
To easily transfer Crostata to serving dish, lift edges of parchment with Crostata on top. Transfer to serving dish then slide parchment out from under Crostata.