Spiced Plum Cake
Our recipe for Spiced Plum Cake is the perfect way to showcase fresh, juicy summer plums. It's so easy to pull this cake together and it tastes as delicious as it looks. We used coconut milk in our plum cake which makes the batter rich and silky. The decadent texture and subtle spices are a perfect contrast to the sweet-tart plums.
- Cooking time1 hr 10 min
- Prep time20 min
- Portions 12
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Country Crock Plant Butter® with Avocado Oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 4 plums or pluots, thickly sliced
|Energy (kcal)||169 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||708 kJ|
|Protein (g)||3.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||33.7 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||32.8 g|
|Sugar (g)||18.8 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.9 g|
|Fat (g)||2.8 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||2.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.3 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.2 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||21 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||104 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.26 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||102 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||2.1 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||54 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.77 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||84 mg|
- Preheat oven to 350°F and set an oven rack in the middle position. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or beaters, cream Country Crock Plant Butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat on low speed until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the coconut milk, and beat on low speed until smooth. (Note: batter will be quite thick.)
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Gently arrange plums on top, so they mostly cover the batter. Don't press plums in as the batter will rise up around the plums.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes on wire rack. Run a knife around the edges of the pan, remove from pan and cool completely. .
Coconut milk makes this cake very rich. You can substitute oat, almond or your favorite plant based milk. They'll give the cake a lighter texture.